Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Importance of Effective Communication

The ability to communicate effectively is essential in sharing ideas and visions with people. No matter how brilliant one's idea is, it is worthless unless it can be communicated effectively. For this reason, I believe that effective communication is an essential skill that everyone should pick up. Without communication, there is no way one can express thoughts, ideas and feelings.

Good communication is the key to a good relationship. If we communicate well with people in our lives, we are able to better understand their needs and wants. Being a part time swim coach teaching young children, I have experience communicating differently with various audience such as parents, kids and other fellow swim coaches. Each group requiring a unique form of communication. With kids, I would have to keep my instructions short, simple and concise. With parents, my tone of communication has to be different. With my fellow swim coaches, I can be informal. 

Moving forward, I would like to learn how to effectively organise my thoughts and express my ideas accurately to others. As a future civil engineer (I think), I would have to communicate with various departments consisting of fellow engineers, architects and clients. We cannot be fully effective in our jobs if we are poor listeners, speakers and writers. Not being able to communicate well would impede the project at hand.

Effective communication is something that I continue to strive for and struggle with. For that reason, I hope to make the best of my journey in ES2007S.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Dwayne sweetie,


    Your post was lucid and straight forward with the sense of there being nothing to hide on your part; I presume you are of that nature in real as well. Instantly, I was attracted.

    What was good was the narrating portion. You went methodically from giving a general overview of the importance of communication to your own current and then future needs in communication, and in very good English. Bravo Dwayne!

    You are going to have the best journey in ES2007s.


    Caster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dwayne, for this clear, concise response. You've organized your ideas well from the general to the specific, giving the reader a strong sense of how your work as a coach requires you to adjust not just the content of your message ("keep my instructions short, simple and concise") but also the tone ("With parents....has to be different"). You also bring up your possible needs when you are on the engineering job.

    I appreciate the effort here and look forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dwayne, that was a rather interesting perspective. I like the way you decribed the importance of effective communication skills in interpersonal relationships which is evident in the multiple roles you assume in life: as a coach, a colleague and a son.
    I'm sure that through this module, you're going to be better equipped with the skills to communicate effectively with your future engineering counterparts, superiors and clients etc. Here's wishing you best journey in this module. See you in class!:)

    Jiayi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dwayne,
    I liked this blog post because it was clear and it was easy to understand. The part about different ways to communicate with kids and their parents is interesting. I think your ability to describe something in many different ways and at different detail level will be useful in your carrier as well since you then probably will communicate with people having different educations and knowledge.

    Good luck and see you in class tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dwayne,

      I really enjoyed reading your blog post. It felt very personal and engaging. You started off by giving a brief overview of the topic, and moved on to narrating how you deem effective communication is to you in your current part time job and your future job as an engineer. As I was reading your post, i could actually picture you in the various roles practicing effective communication. Also, I particularly like the paragraph where you explained how communicating to various people of different age groups require appropriate communication tactics. Without the right tactics, the other party would not be able to get the intended message. I hope that we will all be able to pick up good communication skills by the end of the module and become effective communicators :)

      Sharlene:)

      Delete
  6. Thank you all for your comments. Now after the module and reading back the comments and post, I am glad to say that this has been a wonderful journey. I have certainly achieved what I set out to do.

    ReplyDelete